Mastering PeopleSoft Administration: Deployment Packages
Learn to use Deployment Packages to build your infrastructureWatch Promo Enroll in Course
This course will teach you how to use Deployment Packages to build your infrastructure.
- Fast forward your PeopleSoft maintenance and automation improvement projects
- Helping take the next step in fully automating your infrastructure maintenance and deployments
- Pushing the limits of DPK to achieve high levels of efficiency and consistency in PS Admin tasks
- Learn how to make DPK work for you
- Helping you move from the ground to the cloud using DPK
- Learn how to enhance and extend PeopleSoft Deployment Packages
Introducting Deployment Packages
Deployment Packages (DPKs) are a new technology with PeopleSoft that let administrators quickly build new environments. In the first section of the course, you will learn:
- Why you should learn to use Deployment Packages
- What technologies are used in Deployment Packages
- The differences between Deployment Package types
- Introduce the concept of DevOps
- Limitations in the current Deployment Packages
At the end of this section, you will understand why Deployment Packages will be the only deployment method for future PeopleSoft releases.
Bootstrapping Your Server
In the second section, we learn what bootstrapping is and how the DPK bootstrap process works. You will learn:
- How to use the DPK bootstrap script
- Use the bootstrap scrip to build web, app, batch and database servers
- How to automate the bootstrap for quicker deployments
At the end of the bootstrap section, you will know how to use the DPK bootstrap script to jump start your server deployments.
Configure the DPK
There are many options to configure the DPK and this sections teaches you about each option. In the third section of the course, you will learn:
- What Puppet, Facter and Hiera are and how the DPK uses them
- How to work with YAML files
- How the DPK uses the
psft_customizations.yamlfile to build a server
- How to configure databases, app server, process schedulers, web servers and middleware with the DPK
At the end of the configuration section, you will know how to build a
psft_customizations.yaml file for your environments.
Enhance the DPK
This setion will introduce you to the Roles and Profiles used by the DPK, and how to customize DPK behavior. You will learn:
- The roles and profiles Puppet design pattern
- How the DPK uses roles and profiles
- How to modify and create your own DPK Roles
- How to encrypt YAML passwords
- How to customize the DPK to add new features
At the end of this section, you will know to how secure your configuration files and make the DPK do more for you.
Extend the DPK
The next section of the course will show you how to use Puppet to extend the DPK to build and configure your servers. You will learn:
- What are Puppet manifests and resources
- How to write custom Puppet manifests
- How to build Puppet modules
- How to integrate custom Puppet modules into the DPK
At the end of this section, you can start creating Puppet modules to add your own configuration to servers through the DPK.
DPK Build Demo
The last section of the course is a demo that builds 3 different servers using the DPK. In the section, we demonstrate:
- How to plan your custom DPK Roles, Profiles and Classes
- How to build custom Classes, Profiles and Roles
- How to integrate your custom Profiles into DPK roles
- How to deploy custom signon files to web servers
- How to configure the Environment Management Framework agent and server with Puppet
- Using automated bootstrap scripts to build servers while you have lunch
At the end of this section, and the course, you will understand how to make the Deployment Packages build servers exactly how you want. You will have a deep understanding of how the DPK works and how to configure and extend the DPK to work for you.
Dan is a senior PeopleSoft Administrator and has over 14 years experience working with the latest PeopleSoft technologies. Dan started psadmin.io where he writes about PeopleSoft Administration. He also co-hosts The PeopleSoft Administrator Podcast, a weekly podcast about PeopleSoft Administration. The PeopleSoft Administrator Podcast is listened to by hundreds of PeopleSoft admin’s every week.
Want to try the course? Watch 5 free videos right now!
In the Course Curriculum section, you will see 5 videos with a "Preview" button. Go ahead and watch those videos and get a taste of what the course is like. Learn something new from the previews right now. You will learn much more from the entire course. (Click the arrow button to view the entire course curriculum; there's a lot of material in this course!)
StartGetting Started (2:19)
PreviewDevOps for PeopleSoft (1:55)
StartWhy Learn to use Deployment Packages? (2:36)
StartWhat are Deployment Packages? (2:41)
StartDPK Technologies (1:41)
StartDPK Proficiency (3:45)
StartPeopleSoft Image DPK (3:40)
StartDPK Limitations (3:50)
StartPeopleSoft Images to Custom Builds (3:21)
StartConfiguration Intro (1:04)
StartHiera, Facter, and Puppet (7:42)
PreviewYAML Syntax (18:58)
Startpsft_customizations.yaml Tips (2:50)
StartDefine Databases (4:27)
PreviewDefine App Servers (11:53)
StartDefine Process Schedulers (6:29)
StartDefine Web Servers (10:22)
StartInstallation Locations (8:05)
StartConfiguration Demo (26:39)
StartLinux OS Users (2:50)
This has been wonderful course. I have a much better understanding of how we can utilize the DPK's and how the bootstrap, Puppet code, and ACM templates work together. I've already been recommending the course to other PeopleSoft Administrators.
Why buy a psadmin.io course?
Are you wondering why you should buy a course from us? Let us explain why we offer great courses and why you'll be glad you learned from us.
Are you still undecided about the course?
Here's a 48 minute talk about Enhancing and Extending Deployment Packages. This talk explains how Dan used the DPK to build servers for a PeopleTools 8.55 upgrade. If you want to learn the details of how Dan used the DPK, this course if for you!
Frequently Asked Questions